Friday, June 10, 2011

Bad Wigs and other Nightmares

So, I was treating my hair really gently from the 29th on, hoping it would last longer. Every time I even touched my hair some would fall out. If I combed my fingers through my hair a handful would come out and my scalp would sting where it had been.

I had ordered an inexpensive wig from a catalog for Christmas but couldn't really see how it looked because I still had hair that was bunched up underneath it. Still, I was not impressed and I thought the color was too dark (so hard to tell what color it's going to be from a catalogue picture!) so Saturday Summer and I went shopping for wigs here locally. We found one I really liked but it was $430 and I didn't know if the insurance would pay for it or not. After all the expensive tests I had to have done, not to mention the biopsies and the surgery to implant a mediport, we weren't looking for more expenses. I decided I'd wait and call the insurance company on Monday to see what they said.

Finally, while I was showering Sunday morning, nearly all my hair fell out--big gobs of it clogging the drain. When I got out and dried off, I had patches of hair still left but, truly, it was mostly gone. I put the cheap wig on to wear to church but it looked awful. Something I didn't know until after I had bought the wig is that when you buy wigs online, they normally do not come styled. You have to take it to a salon and have them cut and style it to look like the picture in the catalog. (Another $50 after the haircut I just got and the wig? Then an additional $50 to get it restyled every time you wash it? I don't think so.) I decided to go to church with just a scarf that day.

1/2/2011
2 and 1/2 weeks after first chemo session with the bad wig

No comments:

Post a Comment