Friday, June 17, 2011

Barely Visible Fuzz

The doctors had said that my hair would begin to grow back three weeks after my last chemo session. Since it had originally taken it two and a half weeks to fall out I was not that optimistic but after six weeks I was starting to panic. I had an appointment with my oncologist that week and asked her about it. (Mom had already told me not to expect anything soon; it had taken me two years to grow hair when I was born!) She said that people with naturally blonde hair tend to be somewhat delayed in hair growth. I guess this means I am a natural blonde (despite what color my hair actually grows in as). I spent so much time rubbing my bald little head that I was sure any hair that grew would be rubbed off but I couldn't seem to help myself. Finally, at 7 1/2 weeks, I felt the tiniest difference. I decided I would have Summer take pictures every two weeks so I could see the progress.

5/26/2011
8 weeks after last chemo session

I had to show a light on it so the hair would actually show up in the picture. Pathetic, I know.

5/26/2011
8 weeks after last chemo session

You can see where we didn't do too great a job when we shaved it--there are spare hairs here and there that look longer. This must mean that you don't lose ALL your hair with chemo, just most of it. It still looks awfully thin but at least it's growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment